Saturday, June 03, 2006

Day 2 - Just Get Me Out of Nebraska!!


The next time someone brings up the idea to drive to Las Vegas - SHOOT HIM.

If I was a settler in the old west I would have put a bullet through my head halfway across Nebraska. My God. It’s not even desolate, it’s worse. If it was desolate I could laugh at the fantastic nothingness. But this is like booting up your computer, getting the blues screen of death and then staring at it for 12 hours.

The drive started in Des Moines with sparsely wooded fertile farmland that turned into rolling livestock range lands. And THAT was it for scenery for the next 12 hours.

727 miles in about 12 hours of boredom. DJ is laying in bed feeling sick. We were going to stop earlier but we figured that since we were already almost comatose why get that feeling AGAIN on Sunday. We drove on, and on and on. To far in fact as we lost that wonderful numbness of Nebraska (new saying “Nebraska, Land of Mind Numbing Beauty”) and it moved to hunger and in DJ’s case car sickness.

To the right is one of the more scenic parts of the State.

We did go through Council Bluffs and the best thing I can say about THAT town is I bet it looks a lot better in the dark. Council Bluffs as an interesting history in case you are interested.

We also saw the first Pony Express station which was slightly interesting.

Actually the land around Lincoln is OK - after Lincoln, not so much.

No real photos as today was another interstate day, no stopping for photo ops. We did manage to get off I80 for a little while but amazingly enough the scenery was even worse.

Well - we're in Denver now. We had the first glimpse of the Rockies from Fort Morgon, about 74 miles away and they were beautiful. Still a lot of snow on them. Tomorrow we go into the Rockies and hopefully DJ will be feeling better.

On a side note - the wild fires in Sedona are contained to 2000 acres last I heard and all in a wilderness area . . .they were set BY A GRINDER!! AAAH!! LOL

Until then

Rod and DJ - out

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I got the electronic birthday card you sent me mom, thankyou. I miss you. We had steak,corn,baked potatos, fruit, chips and brownies for my birthday at Josh's moms house. I ate so much I thought I was gonna explode. Take more pictures and put it on the blog. I'm gonna take a picture of my garden sometime soon and put it on my blog. We'll check on the cats Monday after work. Miss you! Love Jenny

adubya said...

Why are you starting fires? You should know better.

Linda said...

What beautiful photos you have taken. Remarkable!